Thursday, June 30, 2011

Windy, Hail and Difficult Decisions

The Navy Pier
Today, Massachusetts held its first caucus. It went well. We voted to recommend that NEA endorse Barrack Obama for re-election. We voted to endorse the NEA policy statement on teacher evaluation (It is much like the one that MTA gave to the DESE as a guideline.) We also voted to support Bylaw Amendment 3 which would add a $10 assessment to the dues for 5 years to help fight initiative petitions and onorous ballot questions like Massachusetts' question 1.
I am doing an auction to raise money for the NEA Fund for Children and Education. (Our PAC.) I can do this now that I am no longer a public employee.
This afternoon we went on a "tall ship" cruise on Lake Michigan. It was a perfect day- windy, sunny and warm. We also go to spend an hour on the Navy Pier.
The Malden Crowd consists of  me, Marguerite Gonsalves-MEA President, Bonnie Page- MEA vice president, Karen Razzino-Malden High, Kathy DeVito, Paula Higgins from Beeebe, Vin Holquist from Linden.
Tonight it poured and we had golf ball sized hail. Unbelieveable. I went to a restaurant called EATT. I had eaten here before. Unfortunately, I had the same waiter as last time who told me that everything on the menu wasn't very good except the Porterhouse steak and the pork chops- the 2 most expensive dinners on the menu. As my credit card was still in shock from last nights steak, I had the Classic Burger which was a bacon burger with a fried egg on it. Different.
Anyway, time to go to bed. Tomorrow is a full day of decision making.

The Massachusetts Caucus
MTA Vice President Tim Sullivan and President Paul Toner
A moment to  take in the beauty of Chicago 
Vin, Karen, Marguerite, Paula from Malden and Marie from Cambridge
The "Tall Ship"
Jonathan Livingston Lakegull

1 comment:

  1. Gerry,
    You are an inspiration to us all. Thank you for sharing your RA experiences.
    d.

    ReplyDelete